Monday, February 11, 2013

Project 1A

Guitar Body





For this problem, I decided to explore the development of the guitar.  The surface of the guitar body was particular interesting, and through the process of making was particular challenging to reproduce.  I began the process exploring the development of lofted surfaces.  I began with exploring multiple contours, but as a developed the model further felt limited by the use of the 2d projections.

My second attempt explored, instead, using lofted surfaces to boolean from a solid mass.  I was able to "sculpt" the body of the guitar with a decent amount of control.  I found the result of the operations difficult to refine however.  Do to the complexity of the surfaces, smooth transitions between became difficult to achieve.

Due to this I decided to explore this model through the process of poly modeling.  I began with a very primitive shape of the guitar body, and through a process of vertex control and subdividing, was able to arrive at the example shown above.  Far more than the other approaches I took for this project, I felt that I had the most control over the final result with poly-modeling.  Also, the process of refinement from the simple shape i began with to the detailed model I have now, seemed more intuitive for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment