Saturday, March 2, 2013

Surface Manipulation





As I began to explore the surface of the guitar, I decided to manipulate one of the corners of the guitar.  I chose this piece in particular due to the fact that this is where many different surfaces and curves come together.  Using this as my base, I ran the geometry through a series of manipulations.  I was particular interesting in twisting, bending, rippling, scaling, and bloating this geometry.  Using 3ds Max, I found the stack modifier particular useful for this exercise.  I was able to explore multiple transformations on the same geometry in a non-destructive process.  Always able to go back to the original geometry if needed.  

I set these series of 4 transformations as part of a grid system.  The base being the center of this grid, and using a morpher  modifier to see how different percentages of two different transformations interacted with one another.  As a rule of thumb for myself, I took each transformation to the point just before the geometry began to tear.  








1 comment:

  1. It was smart of you to use the modifier stack. You can really create a lot of variations! The changes from one to the next are a little hard to see in your images though, but it seems like a great way to create iterations.

    ReplyDelete