Monday, April 1, 2013

Project 02

Beginning to explore the idea of a parametric surface, I began this week by trying to explore parameters derived from a painting.  By trying to extract information based on the pixels of the image, I hoped to create a surface.  I began by choosing a painting and de-saturating the image in order to limit the image between the 255 shades of grey.  After de-saturating the image, and bumping up the contrast slightly, I applied a filter to the image to simplify the pixels, abstract the painting into larger blocks of shades.  The intent is to now be able to extract the value of the grey for each square which will determine the value of a particular transformation.


 



Once establishing this parameter, I began to explore the original geometry from Project 01.  I quickly determined that the geometry from this project became difficult to unite into a constant surface, and difficult to manipulate.  I decided then to use a new a simpler form that I would use to derive the surface.  Intrigued by the idea of punching holes in a surface, I chose to use a cube that would be boolean'd by a elongated sphere.




The value of how much the Sphere object is cut out of the cube would be determined by the RBG value of the image.  Finally, I offset the portions of the surface in order to add more variation.  The resulting surface, though abstracted, begins to hint at the original painting used.  Though I was unable to manually generate the whole image, I am excited to see what the ultimate surface would develop into.  




6 comments:

  1. I'm really liking the resulting surface - I originally hoped to make something like this, but it didn't work out. Creative process, too - especially digitally abstracting a piece of a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really interesting.
    I am wondering what the surface would look like if based off the color spectrum you added another parameter, such as the cube sticks out a certain depth based off the rgb scale, or based off a parameter instead of subtracting the sphere, it is incrementally added at points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The process is great. Is the final render supposed to represent the pixelated image? It reminds of me a Chuck Close painting or the perforated facades that BIG uses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have definatey did that series of diagrams you showed about the process of that "bullet" object creating a boolean through the surface as an animation, like what you did for the mid-term or a small .GIF anime. That would have been cool. But the idea of using the image as a defining and controlling parameter is fantastic.Id love to see how an algorithm could be defined based on the parameters of RGB color magnitudes in order to be able to parametrically control the preforrations. I'm sure this was super tedious to do manually. Its pretty awesome however your results.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And also, shouldn't there be some parts of the surface that are still un punctured like the completely or almost completely while area? The play between solid and void would have been great to see here.

    ReplyDelete