Monday, April 8, 2013

Project 2a | Performative Effects

For this animation, I re-visited the development of the surface based on the image of the painting.  Realizing that what I really need to be able to do is to take advantage of a displacement map, I began exploring how best to achieve the result I was looking for.  I originally looked at being able to use 3ds Max's built in physics  build to "drop" a matrix of spheres onto a displacement map of the painting.  The nature of this tool, however, results in calculation of how the spheres would "bounce" on the surface once it hit.  Through this continued exploration of how this effect would be achieved, I came across a script that allows for dropping objects onto a surface based on its local Z coordinate.  This was exactly the tool I needed to achieve the effect.  I was able to drape a huge matrix of evenly spaced spheres onto the displacement map of the image. This allowed me to achieve making the whole image as apposed to the partial surface i managed last week.  Sadly, the sheer amount of polygons and geometry required to achieve this effect did not permit the animation to be as dynamic as i would of hoped.  Ideally, I would have liked to be able to animate the spheres boolean through the surface.  Trying to handle the 4000+ spheres boolean through one surface become un-workable, and I ended up having to convert the surface into an editable poly (severing it from the boolean operation, and the RAM associated with it).  For the animation, I wanted now to explore panning across this vast surface and then eventually resulting in the overall view of the final surface.  The animation...



6 comments:

  1. Nice touch on the intro bro. I'm stealing that for the next one. Lol.......... But some way we got figure out how to animate the Boolean process without having that super large file you can't open. That would have made this a lot stronger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea.. I had a thought of re-doing the boolean with something that had less polygons, like a diamond or something. Then I might be able to keep the large field but keep it workable.

      Delete
  2. Well done. I think it would be cool to see the other side of the surface

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, liking the beginning, looks sweet. Moving the camera down helps to emphasize the different sizes of the voids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the transition from close up to panning out was smooth. maybe like rachel said you could move the camera through the holes weaving in and out of both sides? but it looks great.

    ReplyDelete