Monday, April 15, 2013

Project 2b

For this week, I felt draw initially to the attractor point example.  Going through this example, and beginning to understand how the effect was achieved, I wanted to explore how to get this effect with even more points and on a three dimensional object.



With this initial exploration, I was interested how a grid of cubes could be made, with there spacing dependent on a factor of the initial grid spacing, and how attractor points could effect the level of extrusion of these cubes.

Interested by the effect of manipulating multiple geometries, I wanted to take this effect and try and apply it with data extracted from an image.  I discovered that through an image sampler definition, data based on the RGB value was able to be extracted and used to determine the amount of extrusion of a cube.


With this method I was able to take the image of the painting used in past weeks, and use that data to determine the height of a field of cubes.  Further interested by this application, I wanted to see if i could make this definition further manipulable, applicable on an organic surface.




After some trial and error, I was able to take any surface, divide it based on slider values I determine, and extrude holes that vary in radius based on an image.  Certain things like creating a normal plain at each point, and splitting the surface based on extracted curves from a cylinder had to be developed in order to achieve the desired effect.  One thing that I would like to do, is to try and remake this definition more efficient.  This current attempt became very heavy to work with.  

3 comments:

  1. I really like how you've translated your previous surface into a Grasshopper model, and your further exploration with an organic surface.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look like a war memorial I've seen. Where the field of play are squares (each for a person killed) and the idea is every stone is different. Pretty cool like Sean said to see this translated and further explored into Grasshopper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Kurt. I wonder what the surface would be like if you started to experiment with multiple geometries, like the cone that was mentioned last class.

    ReplyDelete